Pages

Saturday 19 March 2011

My Progression of Gear

Just wanted to make a post regarding the progression of gear I've owned during the last few years kayaking. In the previous post I talked about how I found this hobby that I love, kayaking. The first year into kayaking, I really didn't carry a camera. I was too paranoid to have any device that was not waterproof and none of my gear was. After one season and a fair bit of time out, I investigated dry bags and water proof plastic containers for storage. I bought a smaller drybag to carry my camera gear and cell phone in. Eventually, I bought a waterproof camera, an Olympus Stylus 6000. Later,  I bought more dry bags and a used Pulaski Spirit kayak which gave me more room in the cockpit to carry things. I started to learn how useful caribiners were for securing things to my bungees on my kayak. I also started taking my movie camera (not waterproof) on the water. Brave for sure! I traded my Pulaski for a brand new ClearWater Designs Manitoulin kayak last year. This one has a rudder instead of the skeg design of the Pulaski. I've really come to appreciate steering with my feet while holding a movie camera or trying to stay still in current to get a good picture. I also appreciate having dry wells which my other kayak didn't have. I've mounted my Magellan Triton 400 on the desk and installed a couple paddle holders on the side. I'm still making changes to accommodate my gear outside the cockpit so I can use my skirt. It's an ongoing process I suppose and I'm always thinking of ways to keep everything close no matter what the circumstances. As we kayaked more over the years, we ventured further and for longer periods of time. We took a wonderful day trip to Massassauga Provincial Park in 2009 using our dry bags to carry our supplies and meals for the day. I upgraded my lifejacket as well to a more comfortable one.
The photo at the top shows my kayak on our Massassauga trip. I carried my map in a ziploc bag, my gps, camera drybags, second drybag for spare clothing and a third for our food. I have a little light mounted as well because occasionally we've been out after sunset. Gear really is important to me and I continue to make changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment