Pages

Saturday 19 March 2011

Kayaking at Earl Rowe

Most of the time if we're not kayaking close to home in Niagara, we combine our love of camping and hiking with kayaking and try to visit a park with some sort of place to kayak. It was early May of 2010 when we camped at Earl Rowe Provincial Park. We brought our kayaks of course. The weather was not the best, but we still got out on the water. We kayaked above the dam in the park and as far up the Boyne River as we could before we finally hit some deadfall that we couldn't paddle around. This was my first time out with my new Manitoulin kayak.
We won't go back to Earl Rowe again likely as we explored everything there was to explore on the water within less than a day. The highlight of our time on the water was the sighting of a Great Horned Owl on an Island that we paddled around. I should add too, that this was the first time out using my new Magellan GPS. It's become a cool addition to my trips as I can now calculate distance, speed and leave a breadcrumb trail of course. Here are a few pictures of our time at Earl Rowe:

 This is a picture of the reservoir at Earl Rowe above the dam. It looked like the weather was going to clear, but no such luck. The blue sky disappeared soon after this picture was taken.The second picture shows my new GPS mount for my Magellan Triton 400. The yellow drybag holds my camera gear secure and watertight until I'm on the water. I carry a waterproof Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 and a non waterproof Sony camcorder when I'm on the water. If it's too rough, I keep the camcorder in the dry bag and just use my camera. The last shot is my kayak heading towards Boyne River where it enters Earl Rowe.
Publish Post

No comments:

Post a Comment